Description

Random thoughts on our impending doom and everyday life, courtesy of a Romance Writer who occasionally feels the need to talk like a Sailor.

Tuesday 29 January 2013

New Years Blog Thingy, with... Christina Ashcroft


Today we have absolute delight that is Christina Ashcroft. After a steamy spicy erotic romance with a dash of history? Funny that, because Christina writes them for Ellora's Cave. Or maybe a smexy paranormal romance with easy on the eye angels is more your style? Huh, just so happens Christina writes those for Berkley. Take it away, Christina...


Christina Ashcroft is an ex-pat Brit who now lives in Western Australia with her high school sweetheart, their three children, an eccentric Maltese-cross and three regal cats. She can’t remember a time when she didn’t write, and always managed to include an element of fantasy or the paranormal in her English essay homework. Luckily her English teachers didn’t mind, despite the fact these stories generally finished with the hero, heroine (or both) coming to a sticky end. Thankfully by the time she hit fourteen she discovered romance novels and the wonder of a Happily Ever After. She now writes about hot archangels and the women who capture their hearts for Penguin/Berkley Heat and her books always have a happily-ever-after.

Christina is a member of the Romance Writers of Australia, Romance Writers of America, the Dark Side Down Under group blog and the Romance Writers of the Apocalypse blog. She is a contest judge for RWAm, RWAus and RWNZ. She was a member of the inaugural Professional Development for Authors team and has been part of the editorial team for the Romance Writers of Australia’s monthly newsletter, Hearts Talk.


Archangel of Mercy is a finalist in the 2012 Australian Romance Readers Awards in the
Best Paranormal Romance category





What did you learn in 2012?


I learned that when it comes to publishing books of your heart you should Never Give Up! Never Surrender! That Galaxy Quest quote has always been one of my favourites and it really resonated with me in 2012. After Berkley gave me the option of going forward or changing direction on my third contract with them (after I'd written 34k of my third ancient Roman/Druid book) my agent was determined to find my hot historical romances a new home. I finally signed with Ellora's Cave in June and am thrilled that the next two books will soon be published with them.

I also self-published two novellas that had previously been published by a small e-press. I learned my way around the Smashwords and Amazon platforms (and thanks to Cathleen Ross for all her help!). I learned of strange and wondrous functions that Word could perform that I'd had no inkling of before, despite all the years I've used the program.

Although I've always done my own websites, last year I really wanted to set up WordPress websites, because the program I was using was driving me bonkers. I spent about two weeks pulling out my hair, swearing at my laptop and weeping into my tea, but eventually I grasped the fundamentals! Oh happy day :-)





What were some of your highlights of 2012?


Without doubt, the birth of my gorgeous grandson. He is a little ray of sunshine and his cheeky grin brightens every morning!

Signing a six book contract with Ellora's Cave.

The RWA conference at the Gold Coast in August. It was absolutely fantastic and I had a wonderful time catching up with friends and meeting new ones face to face for the first time. By the time I caught the plane home I was practically comatose with exhaustion but it is sooo worth it! I didn't even panic when my luggage ended up in Melbourne while I landed in Perth!!

The release of my first Archangel book, Archangel of Mercy, in December.




What have you got planned for 2013, publishing or otherwise?
 

I have all my fingers crossed that the next two books in my Roman/Druid series will be published - Betrayed and Tainted. I'm also hoping my first vampire Regency will be released from Ellora's Cave - Bloodlust Denied. I also have a sexy Highland Warrior series planned with EC, but not sure if the first book will be released this year or not.

I also hope to have a release date for my second Archangel book, Archangel of Death.

And looking forward to the RWA conference in Fremantle - no flights involved for me this year. Yay!




Any movies, books and suchlike being released in 2013 that you're really looking forward to?


I'm looking forward to the second Hunger Games movie, Catching Fire, and the new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness. As for books, there are so many I don't even know where to begin!




  

Archangel of Mercy

When Aurora Robinson attempts to open a rift between dimensions to embrace her true heritage, an arrogant Archangel is the only one who can save her from the jaws of hell. And while she owes Gabriel her life, she’s determined not to fall at his feet-despite the desire she feels whenever they’re together.

After his wings were brutally destroyed millennia ago, Gabriel has no compassion for humans like those who ruined him and betrayed the ones he loved. But when he inexplicably finds himself defying ancient protocols to rescue a woman from a fate worse than death, he is shocked by the searing attraction he feels for a mortal.

As the ancient forces that seek to punish Aurora for her actions close in, Gabriel offers the tempting woman protection at his private sanctuary. But as they both succumb to their desires, they discover an even deeper connection-one that threatens to consume them.





Christina also writes hot historical romances as Christina Phillips




Bloodlust Denied - Coming Soon from Ellora's Cave

Lured by blood, driven by lust, Alexius is fascinated by the dark haired seductress who shows no fear and refuses to obey his every command. Entranced by such novelty he denies his rabid bloodlust. Instead he’ll keep her to warm his bed until he tires of her ready tongue and tempting body.

Immortal vampire hunter Morana has never mistaken her prey before. But the dark stranger mesmerizes her, enticing her to forget everything but the dangerous pleasure she finds in his arms, until reality intrudes and she flees his addictive embrace.

When Alexius unexpectedly finds her again he’s determined to exact retribution for the way she vanished three years ago. Abduction, bondage and decadent seduction feature in his plans, but before the sun rises dynamics have shifted and he’s the one fighting the silken bonds of captivity.

But as they fall under each other’s erotic spell the past and present collide and unless they discover the truth behind the lies, Death will triumph once more.



3 comments:

  1. A six book contract...that is something to aspire to! I think I have found some more books to add to my reading list. And, congrats on the birth of your grandson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Georgie,

    Thank you for the congrats! He is adorable and totally takes after his grandmother!!!

    I still can't quite believe the six book contract :-) I've written three, the fourth is almost done and I have a partial of the fifth. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a year you had, Christina, and what a great one coming up! Can't wait to see the next two books in the Forbidden world.

    ReplyDelete