My mate Anna Hackett is stopping by today to help further educate us with some fun zombie facts. Her latest action packed paranormal romance ‘Soul Stealer’ just hit the virtual shelves. Check it out…
10 Fun Zombie Facts
Minneapolis–Saint Paul is the Guinness World Record holder of the largest zombie walk – official number 8,027 zombies and estimates upward of 30,000 for the entire event. If you don’t know, zombie walks are organized gatherings of people who dress up as zombies!
Since I was stopping by Kylie’s blog, I thought I’d talk about a subject near and dear to her heart—the undead, brain-eating infected! And I will confess that I am a fan as well. I love The Walking Dead, I Am Legend and Resident Evil.
So I promised 10 fun zombie facts, some you may have heard before, some that are very interesting and some are a little gross:
1. Jiangshi is a Chinese zombie that moves around by hopping. Hmm, sort of lowers the scare factor.
2. Zombie bank – a bank with no money that continues to operate with government support.
3. Zombie is Canadian slang for an army conscript assigned to home defense during World War II.
4. Zombie cocktail - a tall drink made typically with several kinds of rum, citrus juice, and often apricot liqueur. Yum, sounds pretty good.
5. Zombie doesn’t just describe the undead, another definition (to quote the dictionary) is a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.
6. Zombie fly – a fly that inserts its eggs into honeybees. The larvae cause the bee to become disoriented and exhibit strange behavior. Infected bees are called zombees. Yuk!
7. Zombie is a snake god worshiped in West Indian and Brazilian religious practices of African origin.
8. Modern zombies as we know them owe their thanks to George A. Romero and his 1968 film Night of the Living Dead
9. The 1929 novel The Magic Island by William Seabrook is credited with introducing the term “zombi” to the US.
10. The zombie movie, World War Z starring Brad Pitt comes out in 2013! I am looking forward to seeing this.
I’ve yet to pen my own zombie story, but I’m not ruling it out! I think I have a zombie or two lurking around. My latest release is a paranormal/sci fi novella that while zombie-free, is action-packed and has time thieves, soul stealers and mind raiders. The mind raiders can stop people’s thoughts and get them do as they ask. Kind of like the automaton type of zombie!
Now it’s your turn, zombie-lovers. Do you have any fun zombie facts to share?
Anna Hackett loves action movies, sci-fi shows, short stories, writing her own romantic adventures, her wonderful husband and her little man. You can find her at the usual places:
Anna Hackett – Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | GoodreadsHer latest novella, SOUL STEALER, is out now.
Enter the SOUL STEALER Giveaway for a $25 Amazon Gift Card and 3 Carina Press ebooks of the winner’s choice:
The SOUL STEALER Giveaway via Rafflecopter
Soul Stealer Blurb
She just wants her life back. After being kidnapped and forced to kill by a vicious crime lord, Cate Hartmann is now a killer with an addiction to stealing souls. On the island sanctuary of Haven, surrounded by other anomalies with secret abilities, she fights to recover. But only one man calms the dark storm inside and makes her believe she can be whole again…Dr. Gage Walker.
Scientist Gage Walker has spent a decade helping anomalies. But every day, he’s haunted by his previous job for the CIA—where he crossed far too many boundaries and hurt so many anomalies. Including his brother. He vows he won’t fail again and will do everything he can to heal Cate—including fighting his attraction to her.
But when the crime lord comes after Cate again, it’s a race against time to find out why he wants her. Amidst the danger, Gage and Cate drawn to each other, even as they fear that one wrong step will send her hurtling back into the depths of her soul stealing addiction.