Description

Random thoughts on our impending doom and everyday life, courtesy of a Romance Writer who occasionally feels the need to talk like a Sailor.

Monday 25 February 2013

A look at 'A Basic Renovation' by Sandra Antonelli



Today, I'd like to introduce you to a groover named Sandra Antonelli. Amongst other stuff that shes does with her life, Sandra is a dynamite with a pun or a LOL pic. I admire this greatly.  Oh, and she also writes romance. And studies romance as a genre. Yes, you read me right. Sandra studies romance. How cool is that? But I'll let her explain...

 

In a fair and just world we would all own a copy of these boots. Fact.
Of all the questions I’ve had about my debut novel the one asked the most often blows my mind. Please allow me to clear this up right now. While I am the proud owner of a pair of red cowboy boots, and red boots feature in A Basic Renovation, that is not me on the cover. But thank you for thinking that it was. I’m flattered you believed I’m a good looking blonde with awesome arms. Escape Publishing did a spectacular job with the cover. Hell, they did a spectacular job with everything, and that includes dealing with all of my newbie-to-publishing foibles.

I wrote A Basic Renovation for my Masters degree. I was looking for a particular sort of romance novel, one where the hero and heroine were both over forty. I’d find one every now and again, but the pickins’ were slim. During the course of my MA, my cohort was fortunate to have a masterclass taught by Jenny Crusie, and we read her essays as well. She said, “Write the novel you want to read.” I realized that’s what I’d been doing.

A Basic Renovation has, as the very darling Kate Cuthbert at Escape Publishing put it, a damaged woman, a damaged man, a damaged grandfather and a damaged house. I’ve been told it’s funny. I’ve been told the grandfather, who’s 92 and falling in love all over again, steals the show. I’ve been told there’s too much cussing. I’ve been told the heroine excels at giving the finger. So what is A Basic Renovation all about? Well, Kids, it’s a romance where two people who hate each other fall for each other in an atomic mushroom cloud sort of way.

When it comes down to it, rats in the oven trumps Lesley’s desire to never set eyes on another Brennan family member. So Lesley, a pro at property redevelopment, scrambles to Dominic Brennan’s hardware store for supplies. Dominic knows poison — rat and otherwise — and he sees it in Lesley. The woman ruined his brother’s life. Now that she’s back in town, Dominic’s afraid she’ll drag up the past, the secrets, and the pain. They clash immediately, but mix in a teenage boy, a puppy, some white paint, and some loud music, and what starts as cold fury transforms into a nuclear attraction. This basic renovation becomes a major life refurbishment for them both.

I hope you like it as much as my mother did.


You can find out more about Sandra here...


Twitter:  @SandrAntonelli
 
Get yourself a copy of 'A Basic Renovation' from... Amazon  iTunes or Escape  

7 comments:

  1. Love the blurb. Sounds stressful, but what renovation isn't especially when there's a 'nuclear attraction' involved? I think I'll have to get my hands on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nuclear attraction is always a good, if somewhat volatile, thing. You should definitely give it a go, Georgie. And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Georgie! And thanks for the big shout out about me, Kylie. I love the Skin you're in. Hang on. Does that sound creepy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book had been on my ipad taunting me for weeks now - pre-oredered it! Soo cant wait to start it! But there is a book I must finish!! Hoping to sneak it in bwteen the current book I must finish and the enxt book I must finish!
    So glad you're writing the stories you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've got it downloaded on my computer too. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for commenting, Amy. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh and I've seen your arms Sandra Antonelli - they are that good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...AA! You have awesome hair I covet and want cut off when you're sleeping so I can make a wig out of it.

    ReplyDelete